Add translations to your NAV/BC Server

Yesterday I got a question via LinkedIn. I need to add Spanish translation to my W1 instance. How do I do that?

So, let me walk you through that process.

Here is my Business Central setup. It is the Icelandic Docker Container, so I have Icelandic and English. Switching between Icelandic and English works just fine.

Switching to Spanish gives me a mix of Spanish and English.

The Spanish translation for the platform is shipped with the DVD image and automatically installed. So are a lot of other languages.

Icelandic and English are built in captions in the C/AL code. And even if all these languages are shipped with the platform, these languages are not shipped with the application.

There is a way to get these application translations from the appropriate release and add them to your application.

Let’s start in VS Code where I have cloned my Business Central repository from GitHub. I opened the workspace file and also opened “setup.json” from the root folder of my repository.

This configuration points to the W1 Business Central OnPrem Docker Image. Now, let’s point to the Spanish one.

And let’s build a container.


Switching the Terminal part to AdvaniaGIT, I see that I am now pulling the Spanish Docker image down to my laptop.

This may take a few minutes…

After the container is ready I start FinSql.exe

Just opening the first table and properties for the first field I can verify than I have the Spanish captions installed.

So, let’s export these Spanish captions by selecting all objects except the new trigger codeunits (Business Central only) and selecting to export translation…

Save the export to a TXT file.

Opening this file in Visual Studio Code, we can see that the code page does not match the required UTF-8 format. Here we can also see that we have English in lines with A1033 and Spanish in lines with A1034.

We need to process this file with PowerShell. Executing that script can also take some time…

This script reads the file using the “Oem” code page. This code page is the one FinSql uses for import and export. We read through the file and every line that is identified as Spanish is the added to the output variable. We end by writing that output variable to the same file using the “utf8” code page.

Visual Studio Code should refresh the file automatically.

We need to create a “Translations” folder in the server folder. The default server uses the root Translations folder.

If you have instances then the “Translations” folder needs to be in the Instance.

Since I am running this in a container I may need to create this folder in the container.

Then, copy the updated file to the “Translations” folder.

And make sure it has been put into the correct path.

We need to restart the service instance.

Then in my Web Client I can verify that the Spanish application language is now available.

That is it!

Here is the PowerShell script

In this post I used both AdvaniaGIT and NAVContainerHelper tools. Good luck.

Using the Translation Service for G/L Source Names

Until now I have had my G/L Source Names extension in English only.

Now the upcoming release of Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central I need to supply more languages.  What does a man do when he does not speak the language?

I gave a shout out yesterday on Twitter asking for help with translation.  Tobias Fenster reminded me that we have a service to help us with that.  I had already tried to work with this service and now it was time to test the service on my G/L Source Names extension.

In my previous posts I had created the Xliff translation files from my old ML properties.  I manually translated to my native language; is-IS.

I already got a Danish translation file sent from a colleague.

Before we start; I needed to do a minor update to the AdvaniaGIT tools.  Make sure you run “Advania: Go!” to update the PowerShell Script Package.  Then restart Visual Studio Code.

Off to the Microsoft Lifecycle Services to utilize the translation service.

Now, let’s prepare the Xliff files in Visual Studio Code.  From the last build I have the default GL Source Names.g.xlf file.  I executed the action to create Xliff files.

This action will prompt for a selection of language.  The selection is from the languages included in the NAV DVD.

After selection the system will prompt for a translation file that is exported from FinSql.  This I already showed in a YouTube Video.  If you don’t have a file from FinSql you can just cancel this part.  If you already have an Xliff file for that language then it will be imported into memory as translation data and then removed.

This method is therefore useful if you want to reuse the Xliff file data after an extension update.  All new files will be based on the g.xlf file.

I basically did this action for all 25 languages.  I already had the is-IS and da-DK files, so they where updated.  Since the source language is en-US all my en-XX files where automatically translated.  All the other languages have translation state set to “needs-translation”.

All these files I need to upload to the Translation Service.  From the Lifecycle Services menu select the Translation Service.  This will open the Translation Service Dashboard.

Press + to add a translation request.

I now need to zip and upload the nl-NL file from my Translations folder.

After upload I Submit the translation request

The request will appear on the dashboard with the status; Processing.  Now I need to wait for the status to change to Completed.  Or, create requests for all the other languages and upload files to summit.

When translation has completed I can download the result.

And I have a translation in state “needs-review-translation”.

Now I just need to complete all languages and push changes to GitHub.

Please, if you can, download your language file and look at the results.